Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Moses the Underrated Prophet of God
by Donald Schellberg 


As a member of the Baha'i Faith I accept the divine origin of all faiths.   They were revealed by very special people who had a very unique relationship with the Creator, far above and beyond even the most pious of believers.  In recent days I have thought a lot about Moses and have begun to appreciate Him a lot more.  Sure, Christians, Baha'is and Muslims accept the station of Moses, but always on the way to venerating our own founders; sometimes, however, we lose sight of his incredible accomplishments.  
Mount Sinai, "Full Moon at Dusk"

The context is very compelling, a member of an oppressed minority, raised in the home of the Pharaoh throwing it all away by committing manslaughter and becoming a fugitive.  In the state of Pennsylvania where I live, he would have been looking at a prison sentence of 6 to 12 years, but He had a vision of God, a vision so powerful that he returned to his native country in spite of the inevitable consequences.   His mission was to confront the most powerful man of the most powerful kingdom on earth.

Often, we look at movies of Moses with all their special effects and it seems to minimize his great accomplishments.  Sure, I believe that the Spirit of God was him, when a flash flood  destroyed much of the Egyptian army but that does not take away the tremendous effort that was involved in liberating an entire people from the yoke of slavery,  turning them away from a culture death to one that celebrated life and, at that same time, creating a civilization that has had a tremendous impact on much of the world's cultures.  That in my opinion is the true miracle of Moses.


Check out RavelUnravel.com to learn more about the Baha'i Faith.


Interested in blogging for us? Submit a guest blog any time!
Click here to read our blogging guidelines...




Donald Schellberg Bio:I was born in 1951.  When I was 3 I was one of the last people in the US to contract polio.  I was hospitalized for 1 year, for intense physical therapy because I was paralyzed until age 4.  I grew up in an affluent neighborhood of Long Island, my father was not a church going man, but my mother was a fairly religious Irish Catholic.  I became a member of the Baha'i Faith when I was 20 because of my belief of the essential oneness of all faiths.  When I was 25 years old I went to Panama to work on several Baha'i projects, the most notable of which was Radio Baha'i in Chiriqui which was the first organization to broadcast radio programs in the Guaymie language.  I returned to the United States in 1994 where I have worked as a software engineer until the present time.  In 2012 I had open heart surgery to fix a leaky mitral valve (a condition caused by a disease I caught in Panama) but  I have made a complete recovery.  I have three college age children, Melanie, Christopher, and Stephanie.  I tend to be a non literalist when studying religious faiths and am attracted to the mystical side.  I believe the physical world is a dim reflection of the spiritual.

No comments: